April’s Recipe of the Month comes from the George Hotel’s Sous Chef, John Lennon. John has created the perfect plum pudding recipe, which is easy to follow at home to impress your dinner guests. The combination of the fruit and spices works brilliantly, there’s nothing like a bit of spice to brighten up a fruit pudding… Go on give it a go!
Poached Plum Frangipane Tart with Cardamom Ice Cream
Ingredients – For the tartlets
250g short crust pastry
125g unsalted butter, softened
125g caster sugar
125g ground almonds
30g plain flour
4 plums halved, stoned and lightly poached in red wine
Ingredients – For the ice cream
290ml double cream
290ml full fat milk
120g caster sugar
4 egg yolks
Half a vanilla pod
2 cardamom pods
Method – For the tartlets
- Thinly line 8 tartlet cases with the short crust pastry and set to the side
- Beat together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy
- Beat in the eggs
- Add the almonds and flour and mix to a paste
- Half fill the pastry cases with the almond paste and place a plum half in the cantre
- Bake at 180 degrees Celsius for 15-18 minutes
Method – For the ice cream
- Pour the cream and milk into a pan, add the cardamom pods and split vanilla pod
- Slowly bring to the boil
- Whisk together the egg yolks and sugar
- Pour the hot cream mix onto the egg mix and stir well
- Return to a gentle heat and keep stirring until the custard coats the back of a spoon, take care not to boil.
- Pass the mix through a fine sieve and allow to cool.
- Churn the mix in an ice cream maker or by hand by storing in the freezer and stirring by hand every 20 minutes until set.