Easy peasy cheesy pie
Do you often find yourself pressed for time? Do you have guests who have kids and don’t know what to make for them? Aaaahhh…don’t worry, try our chef’s recommendation for ‘Easy Peasy Cheesy Pie!
Cheese Doorstep Pie with new potatoes
You will need
4 x 8cm by 6cm pie dishes
- 400gm shortcrust pastry
- 500gm Kendal creamy cheese diced into 1cm cubes
- 500gm mash potato
- 1x pinch salt 1xpinch pepper
- 4x red onions sliced
- 50ml balsamic vinegar
- 100gm soft brown sugar
- 1x tblsp chopped parsley
- Flour for dusting
- In a hot pan fry the onions off until soft ad then add the sugar. Once the sugar has dissolved add the balsamic vinegar and reduce until the liquid is nearly gone, then remove from the heat and leave to cool.
- Roll out the pastry to 1/2 cm thick and place in the pie dishes. Mix the mash, salt, pepper and parsley together in the bowl and place into the pie cases until they are 3/4 full.
- Top with the caramelised onions.
- Roll out the pastry lids the same thickness as the base (1/2 cm think) and place on top of the pie, trim off and neatly fold round the edges.
- Cook the pies in an oven at 180’c until golden brown.
- Pop the pies out of the cases and serve with buttered new potatoes and a vegetarian gravy