This month’s recipe of the month comes from Graham Ball, Head Chef at the Borrowdale Hotel. Graham wanted to give our readers a real taste of Cumbria, so he’s included Herdwick lamb in this delicious seasonal recipe.
Mint Herb Crusted Cannon of Herdwick Lamb, Sweet Potato Fondant, Char Grilled Asparagus, Heritage Tomato Cassaulut, Redcurrant Jus
Serves 1 portion
227 gms Herdwick Lamb Cannon
1 Large Sweet Potato
3 pieces of British Asparagus
150 gms of Heritage Cherry Tomatoes
1 small Red Onion
4 sprigs of Mint
25 gms of Breadcrumbs
1 sprig of Rosemary
50 ml of Red Currant Jus
1. Trim off any fat from lamb cannon and seal in a hot pan, just to colour the outside.
2. Peel the sweet potato and cut into two small shapes. With a round cutter peel the asparagus and cut the heritage tomatoes in to halves. Finely chop the red onion, mint and rosemary.
3. Place the sweet potato in a baking tray with vegetable stock and butter and cook for approx. 10 to 15 minutes until soft.
4. Coat the lamb in egg, breadcrumb and herbs and place in a hot oven 180 Celsius, gas mark 7 for approx 10 minutes.
5. Char grill the stems of asparagus, cook onion in a saucepan till soft without any colour, add tomatoes and cook till soft, then add just a dash of water.
6. Melt the red current jelly into 50ml of jus.
7. Serve and enjoy!