November Recipe of the Month
Nothing beats getting all cosy in front of a warm fire, with a big bowl of comfort food on a cold winters night. That’s why Kyle Phillips, Sous Chef at the George Hotel wanted to share with you one of his favourite winter warmer recipes for our November recipe of the month.
Shepherd’s pie is a classic British classic dish, a simple supper on a wintery evening, perfect for cooking in advance and even the fussiest of eaters will love it… it’s a win, win situation. Follow Kyle’s step by step instructions to make this delicious shepherd’s pie.
Shepherd’s Pie Ingredients (serves 4)
1 tbsp sunflower oil
1 large onion – chopped
2-3 medium carrots – chopped
500g Herdwick lamb mince
2 tbsp tomato puree
Large splash Worcestershire sauce
500ml beef stock
900g potato – cut into chunks
3 tbsp milk
1. Heat oil in a medium saucepan, add the onion & carrots, stirring for a few minutes.
2. When soft turn up the heat, crumble in the Herdwick lamb mince until brown, tipping off any excess fat.
3. Add the tomato puree and Worcestershire sauce, then fry for few minutes.
4. Pour over stock, bring to a simmer, then cover and cook for 40 mind.
5. Meanwhile, heat the oven to 180 c, make the mash by boiling the potatoes in salted water for 10-15 minutes until tender. Once ready drain the potatoes and mash using butter and milk.
6. Put the mice into an oven pot dish, top with the mash.
7. Bake for 20-25 minutes until the top is starting to colour and the mince is bubbling at the edges, take out of oven and sprinkle cheese on top and brown under the grill.