This month’s recipe comes from Sous Chef John McKlean from the Lodore Falls Hotel, John is passionate about creating seasonal dishes and recommends using the following ingredients for the month of March; clams, mussels, sea bass, venison, leeks, savoy cabbage, king edward potatoes and purple sprouting broccoli.
Let us tempt you with John’s tasty mussel recipe, the sauce is so good you’ll need to serve this dish with a spoon.
Mussels in Brandy Garlic Cream
- 2 tablespoons of minced fresh garlic
- Large dash of brandy – “the larger the better!”
- 1 cup of double cream
- 500g mussels
- 2 large spoons of freshly chopped parsley
- 1 cup of finely diced white onion
- A knob of butter
- Sauté onions and garlic in the butter until soft.
- Add the brandy and let it simmer for about 2 minutes.
- Add the mussels and cover. Steam until they start to open.
- Pour in cream and stir. Cook for a further 3-5 minutes.
- Add the fresh parsley and serve.
You should remove any unopened mussels!