October Recipe of the Month!
This month’s recipe is a ‘Scotch Quail Egg’ starter from the George Hotel. If you are thinking of throwing a dinner party this festive season, Scotch eggs make a fun starter.
Scotch Quail Eggs
- 6 quail eggs
- 200g flaked ham hock
- 1/2 small onion
- 6 capers
- 1 gherkin
- 1 tbspn chopped parsley
- 3 eggs
- 100g plain flour
- 100g panko breadcrumbs
- Finely dice small onion, capers and gherkin
- Bring a pan of water to the boil, once boiling place quail eggs in and leave to boil for 2 minutes, have a small bowl of ice water to hand
- Remove eggs and place in ice water to cool, once cooled peel carefully
- Mix ham hock, diced gherkin, onion and capers with 1 egg and parsley, season to taste
- Divide meat mixture into 6 equal quantities and press until thin. Carefully wrap around an egg and roll gently into a ball shape. Refrigerate for 10 minutes.
- Coat each ball in flour, beaten eggs, then breadcrumbs and repeat, so that there are two coatings
- Deep fry eggs for 2-3 minutes
- Best served on a bed of red onion